Successful mesothelioma lawsuits give patients and families the money needed for treatment, household expenses and unexpected bills. Family members of the victim also can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the companies that knowingly exposed their loved one to asbestos.
Many mesothelioma patients opt to seek compensation through asbestos lawsuits, asbestos trust funds and VA benefits. Each state has different laws about how compensation from a trust fund will affect compensation from a lawsuit. Trust funds can offer quicker access to money for treatment and other expenses.
Individual states have time limits for filing a mesothelioma lawsuit, called a statute of limitations. This means patients have a limit on the amount of time from diagnosis to file a lawsuit. Claimants are urged to act quickly. Only trained mesothelioma lawyers give patients and their families support for the best compensation.
Asbestos Bankruptcies and Trusts
Asbestos litigation is the largest, longest-running mass litigation in United States history. Greedy manufacturers and other companies knew about the dangers of asbestos but allowed employees and their families to be exposed, putting profits ahead of people. The courts recognize the widespread corruption. Victims and their families are encouraged to pursue compensation for their injuries.
When you hire an attorney, you aren’t just hiring a single legal expert. Attorneys work with medical and legal teams to help you organize your medical records, compile information about your exposure history, walk you through confusing paperwork and determine which trust(s) to target for compensation. You get the skill, ability and insight that can only come from legal experts who have a full understanding of how to process trust claims.
Hiring a Mesothelioma Attorney
Mesothelioma attorneys charge a contingency fee for legal expenses, meaning attorneys only collect fees if they win the client’s case. Experienced mesothelioma attorneys won’t take cases they don’t think they can win, so there are no out-of-pocket costs for the clients and no risks. That means there is added incentive for your attorney to work hard on your case. Once your case is won, contingency fees can be about 25 percent of the total compensation.
When it comes to asbestos litigation, only experienced mesothelioma attorneys understand the complicated medical and legal issues that will help secure adequate financial compensation. Having an experienced attorney on your side can also eliminate the stress and doubt you may feel in filing a claim, giving you the chance to focus on healing and well-being. We have helped scores of mesothelioma victims and their families get through the challenging legal path for the compensation they deserve. Don’t risk your financial security on attorneys who do not have our experience.
Find out if you are eligible for compensation now!
What is the Consultation Process?
Attorneys who understand asbestos-related claims handle all aspects of the legal proceedings, eliminating the need for client countless meetings and consultations. The typical steps in asbestos legal proceedings include the following:
- Investigation – Mesothelioma attorneys, with the help of specialized investigators, determine the source(s) and extent of asbestos exposure.
- Complaint – Claims are filed in the state(s) where injured victims will see the most advantage. Manufacturers and companies responsible for the exposure are required to answer the complaint with a defense or admission of guilt.
- Discovery – Attorneys gather pertinent information through research, document searches, depositions and witness statements.
- Mediation – To avoid going to trial, attorneys from both sides meet to negotiate a proper and just settlement.
- Trial and Judgment – In the case of a trial, a judge will hear the case and make a determination on the financial award. Less than one percent of all mesothelioma cases make it to this stage because most companies prefer out-of-court settlements.
What is My Case Worth?
The value of each case is very individualized, based on the circumstances behind the asbestos exposure, the subsequent disease and other relevant facts. Some cases have ranged from several thousand dollars to millions of dollars. The only way to determine the true value of your case is to contact our experienced mesothelioma attorneys.
There are several ways to obtain compensation for a mesothelioma injury, including bankruptcy trust funds, lawsuits, settlements, trial verdict and, for military veterans, compensation from the VA. It is hard to estimate how much a case is worth because each case is so different. Our experienced mesothelioma attorneys can help determine the value of your case and compensation level.
- Ziffer, Lee. American Bar Association. Retrieved from http://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/committees/products/articles/spring2012-bankruptcy-trusts-asbestos-litigation.html
- Rand Institute for Civil Justice. Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts and Tort Compensation. Retrieved from http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR907.html