Mesothelioma is a deadly disease that requires quick, aggressive and expert medical care, but there are few cancer centers nationwide that are known for expertise in mesothelioma treatment.
Locating a suitable treatment facility is one of the many challenges patients and their families face in the early weeks of an asbestos cancer diagnosis. The centers that do have the resources to treat mesothelioma can be difficult to access.
A vital component of successful treatment is utilizing the many services the best mesothelioma cancer centers have to offer. Contact us now to be connected with the leading mesothelioma treatment centers that provide patients with fast access to specialists.
Leading Mesothelioma Treatment Facilities
Every year, U.S. News & World Report compiles a list of nearly 1,000 top cancer centers nationwide. For the list, the publication uses several factors, including hospital performance for treating colon cancer and lung cancer, which is similar to malignant mesothelioma treatment in many ways.
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center – (Houston, Texas) MD Anderson Cancer Center is known worldwide as a leader in asbestos cancer treatment. Dr. Anne Tsao, a leader in mesothelioma treatment, directs the center’s mesothelioma and thoracic chemo-radiation programs. The center actively participates in clinical trials.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center -(New York, NY) The dedicated mesothelioma team at Memorial Sloan Kettering brings patients together with the top specialists. Dr. Valerie Rusch, a preeminent cancer specialist, is known for pioneering mesothelioma treatment, including treatment for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Mayo Clinic – (Rochester, Minnesota) The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center has been designated a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Care Center for four decades. With locations in Florida, Arizona and Minnesota, Mayo has numerous renowned cancer specialists who treat mesothelioma including Drs. Mark S. Allen and Stephen D. Cassivi.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute – (Boston, Massachusetts) In a partnership with Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Dana Farber has access to the International Mesothelioma Program (IMP), the world’s largest mesothelioma treatment center. The IMP has been treating and researching asbestos cancer for about 20 years.
- Seattle Cancer Alliance – (Seattle, Washington) A leader in cancer treatment, Seattle Cancer Alliance has been involved in a phase II clinical trial with durvalumab, an immunotherapy drug that shows promise in mesothelioma treatment.
Get a Free Compensation Guide
Learn more about legal options for mesothelioma victims and how to obtain compensation.
Get Your Free Guide Now
Top Mesothelioma Cancer Centers
In addition to the U.S. News and World Report-ranked cancer centers, other leading mesothelioma cancer centers have been nationally recognized for superior treatment services and world-class physicians.
Mesothelioma treatment centers were created to help patients suffering with the debilitating disease. These centers are not only the medical home for the leading mesothelioma specialists, but they also house the newest technology and equipment that support treatments.
- Lung Institute at Baylor College of Medicine – (Houston, Texas) Run by Dr. David Sugarbaker, the preeminent leader in pleural mesothelioma treatment, the Lung Institute focuses on treatment for lung diseases. Sugarbaker has become known as “Mr. Mesothelioma” for his skill and expertise in disease treatment.
- UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center – (Los Angeles, California) U.S. News & World Report has lauded UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC) as a top medical center in the nation. Mesothelioma specialists Drs. Robert Cameron and Jay Lee are among the asbestos-cancer experts at the center’s award-winning Lung Cancer Program.
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center – (Tampa, Florida) In 2012, Moffitt opened its Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center to focus on multidisciplinary treatment for asbestos cancer. The center’s medical experts, including Dr, Jacques Fontaine, focus on asbestos mesothelioma cancer treatment and research.
- Washington Cancer Institute – (Washington, D.C.) Run by Dr. Paul Sugarbaker, Washington Cancer Institute (WCI) is known for outstanding treatment of peritoneal mesothelioma. Sugarbaker pioneered a treatment that combined cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) as a lifesaving therapy for abdominal mesothelioma. Paul and David Sugarbaker are brothers.
- Veterans Health Administration (VA) Treatment Center – Veterans have access to the leading mesothelioma treatment centers and asbestos-cancer specialists in cities that include Boston, Los Angeles and Miami. Nearly 30 percent of all mesothelioma cases involve veterans because asbestos was used in scores of military applications.
Tips for Choosing the Best Treatment Center
Although there is no cure for mesothelioma, patients who receive individualized multimodal asbestos-cancer treatments are living longer than ever before. A key component to surviving the disease is receiving treatment from the best mesothelioma treatment center.
Healthcare professionals recommend patients and their family members consider the following when choosing a treatment center:
- Expertise and Experience – Seek information that will detail facts about the treatment center’s reputation, philosophy and procedures. Review the credentials of the center’s medical experts who will be involved.
- Resources and Collaboration – Learn more about the resources the center provides for patients and how much patient collaboration plays into treatment. Ensure the center has access to the newest technology, advanced treatment options and the most up-to-date clinical trials.
- Access to Care – Determine how quickly the center provides care and how flexible the staff is to patient needs. Ensure the center is close to major city centers and convenient to airports, hotels and eateries.
- Financial Assistance and Insurance – Speak to the center’s financial departments to learn more about the costs related to treatment and the types of payments accepted. Contact insurance companies to confirm the treatment center is in network. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you pay for the expensive treatment.
Let Us Help You
We offer free resources to mesothelioma patients and their families as they seek and undergo treatment. Our Doctor Match program pairs patients with specialists and treatment centers. Contact us now.
Find Out if you Qualify
Fill out our quick form and see if you qualify for trust fund compensation